August 30, 2010
Posted by Noah Fiedel and Wiktor Gworek, Software Engineers
Just in time for our eleventh birthday, we are excited to introduce Stats for Blogger. First launched to Blogger in Draft back in July, Blogger Stats is a cool real-time stats service that's fully integrated with Blogger; you don't need to do anything to enable it for your blog. You can find the new Stats tab on your blog’s dashboard—go ahead and take it for a spin!
Stats is an important piece of the blogging puzzle, as it allows you to track your blog's traffic and find out exactly what your audience is looking for. As such, integrated, real-time stats has been one of the most frequently requested features from our users. You can find more information about Blogger Stats in our earlier announcement; meanwhile, here are some quick highlights for you.
- Real-time tracking. Each time your blog is viewed, you can see the change on your stats almost immediately
- Insights about your audience. Top search keywords, countries, browsers, and more
- Great user interface. Beautiful, easy-to-read graphs and charts
After our initial launch to Blogger in Draft, we had some very helpful feedback and suggestions from you. Based on them, we’ve made improvements including the following:
- Self-view exclusion. Some of you wanted Blogger Stats to exclude your own pageviews, and now there’s an option for that: On Stats | Overview, click on the “Don’t track your own pageviews” link (it’s on the right side, under the pageview summary) and select the “Don’t track my pageviews” option. We’re also now excluding traffic coming from Blogger admin pages and post Preview, providing more accurate pageview data.
- More effective bot traffic filtering. We’ve made several improvements to detect “bots” (the non-human visitors, such as crawlers) including extending our list of known “bots” to provide more accurate pageviews from real visitors.
- Internationalization. Blogger Stats is now available in more than 40 languages.
We hope you like Blogger Stats. By the way, there must be something good about August—not only is it our birth month, we’ve gone from four Admin Dashboard tabs to six, just this month alone! (The other new tab we’ve added this month was the Comments tab, which was another highly requested feature.) We still have some more ground to cover, but just wanted to say we’re working really hard to deliver the features you’ve wanted to see on Blogger. Looking forward to seeing you all at the upcoming Meetup!